Order Status and Order state in Magento 2
Magento 2 is the favorite platform for every store to boost online sales dramatically. It is excellent if many orders are placed. However, by then, you will find it difficult and waste much time on having thousands of orders managed effectively. Let’s follow the guides in this post to help you manage Order Status and Order State better. The more time saved, the more profits earned.
What is the difference between the Magento 2 order status and the order state?
On the one hand, the order state reports the position of an order in the workflow at that time. For example, it could be New, Processing, Canceled, On hold, Pending Payment, etc.
Meanwhile, order statuses allow more flexible order management processing by indicating the state in detail. A ‘Pending payment’ order state could have the Pending payment card or ‘Pending payment Cash on Delivery’ status.
As soon as each order is created, the order information is transferred directly to a stage in the Magento 2 order processing workflow. In addition, there is a specific column in the Orders grid called Status that will control the order status, and a set of predefined order status and order state settings are supported for your store.
See the following image to figure out the management of Magento 2 order status:
In the Status column, you can see many types of order status as follow:
|Order Status||Status Code||Definition|
|Suspected Fraud||fraud||This order did not get an invoice, and no confirmation email was delivered. Typical for PayPal or other payment escape systems.|
|Processing||processing||When a payment is received or authorized, this status appears. The order has been invoiced but not sent.|
|Pending Payment||pending_payment||This happens if your order uses payment getaway systems like PayPal. In this case, purchasers are redirected to the payment website to complete the transaction, but Magento hasn’t received any information yet. The status will change after the customer finishes payment.|
|Pending PayPal||pending_paypal||The PayPal system has received the order but has not processed the payment yet.|
|Pending||pending||The order shipment and invoice have not been processed.|
|PayPal Reversed||paypal_reversed||PayPal has reversed the transaction.|
|PayPal Canceled Reversal||paypal_canceled_reversal||PayPal canceled the reversal.|
|Payment Review||payment_review||If you use PayPal for payment, the status will appear if the payment review option is enabled.|
|On Hold||holded||When you need to hold an order, you can assign it manually from the order grid or view page.|
|Complete||complete||The order was completed (created, paid, and delivered).|
|Closed||closed||A credit memo was created for the order and the order was refunded.|
|Canceled||canceled||The order is canceled if the customer doesn’t make payment within the allowed time.|
Magento 2 Order Status and Order State
- Create a new Order Status
- Assign Order Status to Order State
- Edit Order Status
- Remove Order Status from an assigned state
Create a new Order Status
Because the Order Status brings more flexibility compared to the Order State in general, store admins may want to create extra status based on their own needs.
- On the Admin Panel,
Stores > Settings > Order Status.
- In the upper-right corner, click on
Create New Status.
- Under the
Order Status Informationsection, do the following:
- Enter the
Status Codethat needs to include both letters and numbers while it is required to begin with a letter (a-z) and insert the underscore character instead of a space.
- Enter the
Status Labelthat is shown on Admin and frontend of your store.
- Enter the
- Under the
Store View Specific Labelsection, if you have multiple stores, it is possible to set different labels for each store view.
- To finish, click on
Assign Order Status to Order State
After creating a status, admins have to assign it to one of the existing order states as follows:
- Next to the
Create New Order Status, click on
Assign Status to Stage.
- From the dropdown in the
Order Statusfield, choose the status that you want to assign.
Order Stateto the place in the workflow where the order status belongs.
- Mark the
Use Order Status as Defaultcheckbox to apply this status as default for the order state.
- Mark the
Visible on Storefrontcheckbox to show this status on Storefront.
- The assignment is successful when you click on
Save Status Assignment.
Edit Order Status
Stores can also make changes to the Order Status settings as they wish by following these steps:
- On the Order Status grid, click on the Order Status that you want to edit.
- Change the order status settings as you need.
Save Statusto save the edit.
Remove Order Status from an assigned state
When you need to remove an Order Status from the state that you have assigned it to, follow this guide:
- Consider the Order Status you want to unassign on the Order Status grid.
- Click on the Unassign link in the
At the top of the workplace, a short message will display to notify you that you have unassigned the order status. However, the unassigned status is still included in the list without removal.
When the number of orders is large, it is essential for online stores to classify those orders better to handle them quickly, which Order State and Order Status can help. The above tutorial hopefully assists you in managing Magento 2 Order Status and Order State. Hope you can do it perfectly, but if not, do not hesitate to write to us in the comment section and we will reach you soon.
Customization & Development Services?
8+ years of experiences in e-commerce & Magento has prepared us for any challenges, so that we can lead you to your success.Get free consultant
Explore Our Products:
People also searched for
- magento 2 order state vs status
- magento 2 get order status
- magento 2 change order status programmatically
- magento change order status
- order status in magento 2
- how to change order status in magento 2
- magento 2 order states
- magento 2 get order status programmatically
- order status magento 2
- magento 2 change order status
- magento 2 set custom order status programmatically
- get order status magento 2
- magento 2 default order status
- magento 2 order status list
- magento 2 order tracking
- magento 2 order statuses
- order status
- magento 2 create custom order status programmatically
- magento 2 change order status from pending to processing
- what are the different order statuses available in magento 2?
- magento 2 update order status programmatically
- change order status programmatically magento 2
- change order status in magento 2
- magento 2 change status of order
- magento 2 edit order programmatically
- magento change order status from pending to processing
- magento 2 add custom order status
- magento 2 custom order status
- custom order status magento
- magento order status
- magento 2 order status change event
- magento 2 set order status programmatically
- magento 2 add order status
- 2.2.x, 2.3.x, 2.4.x