How to Reset a Customer Password in Magento 2?
While Magento 1 allows users to update a customer password to a particular string, this feature in Magento 2 has been eliminated. If you go to the admin panel and reset customer passwords, then Magento will require the users to generate a new password by accessing the link sent in their email.
While this is safer and more convenient, a problem can arise if your customer wants a particular password, or can’t get emails. In this guide, we’ll help you to reset a customer password in a Magento store.
This might be useful for developers if they are working on a project or development site.
Table of Contents
- How to reset passwords in Magento 2 for many customers at once
- How to reset a password in Magento 2 for one customer
How to reset a password in Magento 2 for one customer
Log into your Magento 2 admin panel.
Go to the customer you want to change and copy their email address.
Then, go to System > Data Transfer > Export.
Choose Customers Main File from the dropdown.
Enter the email address for the customer you want to modify.
Go to the bottom of the page and click on the Continue button. A file will be downloaded to your browser.
Look for the location of your downloaded file and open it. It is a CSV (comma-separated values file. You can use OpenOffice or Google Sheets to open this file.
Navigate to the right and enter the Password column with the password of your customer.
Save your CSV file and turn back to the Magento admin panel. Go to System > Data Transfer > Import.
Select Customers and Addresses (single file) from the Import Settings section and choose Add/Update Complex Data in the Import Behavior section.
Upload the local CSV that you edited.
Now you’ve reset the password for your customers!
How to reset passwords in Magento 2 for many customers at once
Reset a password from the storefront
- Step 1: Within the Login page, click on Forgot Your Password? button.
- Step 2: Add the Email Address that is associated with your account and choose Reset My Password.
If the email address matches the one that is attached to your account, you’ll get a Password Reset Confirmation with a link to reset your password.
- Step 3: When you receive the email, click on the reset password link and create your New Password.
- Step 4: Re-type the password and click on Reset Password.
As you get confirmation that the password is ready, you can enter the new password to log into your account. Reset a password from the Admin
- Step 1: On the Admin sidebar, navigate to Customers > All Customers.
- Step 2: Look for the customer account in the grid and choose Edit in the Action column.
- Step 3: In the list of options on the top of the page, click on Reset Password.
The admin can set the number of password reset requests that are enabled within 60 minutes.
Follow the instructions carefully, and then you can know how to reset the Magento 2 customer password. Enter any of your questions or concerns in the comment section. We’ll answer you as fast as possible.
We’re pleased to hear from you.
As a store owner, if you want to manage your customer quantity efficiently, you might consider using Customer Approval for Magento 2.
not your workload
Simple, powerful tools to grow your business. Easy to use, quick to master and all at an affordable price.Get Started