How to create Credit Memo or Partial Refund in Magento 2
A lucid, highlighted refund policy makes the online store more securable and trustworthy through the eye of customers. Magento 2 comes with the Credit Memo function which assists store owners to quickly partial refund the shoppers’ money. A credit memo is a document which shows the amount of money that is owed to the customer. The amount can be used for another purchase or partially refunded to the customers.
To create a credit memo or partial refund through the following steps:
- Step 1: Access The Order Grid
- Step 2: Select The Order To Create The Credit Memo
- Step 3: Click To The Credit Memo Button
- Step 4: Edit The Items To Refund Section
- Step 5: Edit The Refund Totals Section
Step 1: Access The Order Grid
From the admin panel, click to Sales, then choose Orders to view all of your current orders.
Step 2: Select The Order To Create The Credit Memo
In the Order Management grid, find an order which you want to create a credit memo for.
Click directly on that order or click to the View button in the Action column to see all details of the order.
Step 3: Click To The Credit Memo Button
Tap to the Credit Memo button in the upper right corner of the screen.
Note: The button will only appear if an invoice is created for that order.
Step 4: Edit The Items To Refund Section
Now, I will see the New Memo page with the Items to Refund section that lists each item from the invoice.
Please take the following actions:
- If the product is to be returned to inventory, mark the Return to Stock checkbox.
- If the product is not returned to inventory, leave the box blank.
Note: The Return to Stock checkbox is available only if the inventory Stock Options is set to Decrease Stock When Order Is Placed.
Then, complete the following tasks
- In the Qty to Refund box, enter the number of items to be returned and press the Enter key to record the change. The Update Qty’s button will appear.
- If any items will not be refunded, enter 0 into the Qty to Refund box.
- Click to the Update Qty’s button to automatically recalculate the total.
Note: The amount to be credited cannot exceed the maximum amount that is available for refund.
Step 5: Edit The Refund Totals Section
- In the Refund Shipping field, enter an amount to be refunded from the shipping fee. This field initially shows the total shipping amount from the order that is available for refund. It equals the initial shipping amount minus any shipping amount that has already been refunded. The amount can be decreased, but not increased, like the quantity.
- In the Adjustment Refund field, enter an amount that will be added to the total; amount refunded as an additional refund beyond shipping, product price, and tax cost. The amount entered can not increase the total refund greater than the paid amount.
- In the Adjustment Fee field, enter a value to be deducted from the total amount refunded. The amount is not deducted from a particular part of the items such as shipping, product price, or tax.
- If the purchase was made by using store credit, mark the Refund to Store Credit checkbox. The amount will be credited to the customer’s account balance.
- In case you want to send an Email notification to the customer, tick the Email Copy of Credit Memo checkbox.
- In the Credit Memo Comments box, enter any comments you want. To include that comment in the email, check the Append Comments checkbox.
The status of a credit memo notification comes up in the completed credit memo beside the credit memo number.
- Based on the payment type, click to the Refund Offline button or Refund Online button to complete the process and create the credit memo.
How To Add A Comment To The Completed Credit Memo
Step 1: In the View Memo page, you need to scroll down to the Comment History section and type the comment in the box. Below the Comment History section is the history of all activities related to the order.
- Mark the Notify Customer by Email check box to send the comment to the customer by email.
- Mark the Visible on Frontend checkbox to post the comment in the customer’s account.
Step 2: Click To The Submit Comment button.
Note: In case you want to check any credit memos related the order, please click to Credit Memos in the left panel.
Above is the detail instructions of how to create a credit memo or partial refund in Magento 2. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. It is worthy to note that customer service does not end when the customers make their purchases. At the end of the day, the customers are likely to come back as a returning customer. Hence, e-commerce businesses need to focus on building up great order management policy to ensure the customers feel satisfied during their shopping journeys. If you are looking for a partner to help you accelerate your online business, Mageplaza is here to help you!
People also searched for
- magento 2 partial refund
- magento 2 refund
- magento 2 refund online
- magento refund
- magento credit memo refund online
- magento 2 credit memo refund online
- magento partial refund
- magento 2 credit memo
- magento 2 refund request
- refund magento 2
- credit memo in magento 2
- magento 2 create credit memo
- magento refund order
- magento 2 refund order
- credit memo magento 2
- magento 2 refund extension
- magento credit memo
- magento refunds
- credit memo magento
- what is credit memo in magento 2
- magento refund offline
- magento adjustment refund
- magento 2 refund online not showing
- 2.2.x, 2.3.x, 2.4.x