Magento 2 API: Create a Quote
When a product is added to the customer’s shopping cart for the first time, a quote will be created by Magento. And the quote will be used to perform the flowing tasks:
- Track items which the customer wants to purchase, including their quantity and base cost
- Collect customer’s information: billing and shipping addresses
- Calculate shipping costs
- Calculate the order subtotal, add other costs such as shipping fees, taxes, etc. and apply coupons to decide the grand total
- Decide the payment method
- Place the order for the merchant to fulfill
In today article, I will provide you two steps to help you create a quote by calling API.
Create a Quote
Step 1: Create cart for logged-in customer
Firstly, let’s go through three types of users who can create a shopping cart:
- An admin user: this users’ type has the ability to create a cart on behalf of a customer. In order for the admin requests to be created, an admin authorization token has to be provided in the call’s authorization header.
- A logged-in customer: The customer’s authorization token must be contained in the authorization header to create a cart and add items.
- A guest user: These users could be customers who haven’t logged in yet, or have no intention of creating an account. An anonymous user’s cart is also known as a guest cart.
Now we are going to manage the cart of a logged-in customer. All calls have to specify the token of customer
q0u66k8h42yaevtchv09uyy3y9gaj2ap in the header, if otherwise not noted.
Authorization Bearer <customer token>
The quoteId: 4 is the response.
Note: This parameter is referred to as the
cartId by some calls.
Step 2: Verify this step
quoteId values will not be displayed on the website or in Admin, there are no additional verification steps needed.
Above I have just shown you how to call API to create a quote. Hope this post helpful for you. In case you have any questions or new ideas, feel free to leave a comment below.
Enjoyed the tutorial? Spread it to your friends!