How to manage Magento 2 user roles?
If you want to arrange your backend tasks fluently and make different admin users work together smoothly, Magento 2 stores need a special tool to assign the various permissions to each admin individually.
In this blog, we provide you a few facts of Magento default limitation in user role management. Then, you are going to expose to Magento 2 Admin Permissions which likely can be your great solution. Let’s dive more into the details below!
Table of Contents
- What is user roles in Magento 2 stores?
- The benefits of Admin Permissions for multiple admins
- Highlight features of Mageplaza’s Admin Permissions extension
- Full features offered by Mageplaza’s Admin Permission extension
What is user roles in Magento 2 stores?
In Magento store, user role is used to define permission of specific admins. This is useful for Magento store with a huge product catalog, multiple admin users and numerous store views. In case, store owners just want to give permission for certain users so that each user role are in charged with different tasks and work.
Though, Magento function is pretty limited in which it allows permission on store pages only. Then after accessing to a certain webpage, these admin users have all permissions on that page. This seems not really effective and high-functional for online stores when sometimes, you need deeper and more detailed permissions. That’s why an advanced module assisting this purpose is built. Let see how Admin Permissions benefits your store management and performance in the next part.
The benefits of Admin Permissions for multiple admins
More advanced permissions, more effective backend performance
Specialization is no longer strange to businesses in which they divide the work into smaller tasks and assign different people to them. That will utilize the best of each person to aim to the same purpose of the whole company.
Similarly in Magento backend, specialization is necessary to manage numerous work tasks and areas such as customers, sales, product supply, and so on. You need advanced permissions to allocate admin users to specific fields which they are best at.
As said, Admin Permissions extension supports you to assign authorization in the following layers:
- Accessible sections: sales, products, categories, product attributes, customer, user role
- Accessible section scope: view, edit, delete
- Time validity for permissions: hours, days
A solution to the multi-vendor store
With multi vendor stores, each vendor should have separated authorities to access their products stock. By this module, manage multi-vendors in your website backend is no longer the tackle. Different vendor admins cannot interfere others incase to protect products information and transaction. Only the head admin can control and see the whole picture of their store. That is how the module help in decentralization a store.
Enhance backend, boost frontend
Specialization one more time helps each admin focus and do their best in assigned tasks and allowed fields. This is a mechanism which leverage the backend performance and surely contribute to frontend effectiveness. There is no doubt of very close relationship between two parts of an online store, right?
Highlight features of Mageplaza’s Admin Permissions extension
Set admin permissions to access sales data
For any stores, sales information is not the published data to everyone. Hence, stores’ owners need Admin Permissions to help them authorize the permissions to the selected people. In term of sales, admin can be limited to access these sections by follow storeview options:
- Allow access to sales with any store views
- Allow access to sales with specific store views
- Deny sales access with specific store views
This function keeps sensitive information safe and accessible to the authorized admins. Store owners do not need to worry about information security.
Restrict admin permission on products
Similar to sales information, product management is the core of any business. If an online store requires several admins to manage and control the performance, store owners may need different rights for individuals admins. By Admin Permission module, they can be entitled to access the following products data types:
- All products in store
- Specific products
- Products created by this admin only
- Products created by the same-role users
Furthermore, with certain permission scope, admin users can be allowed to view, edit or/and delete products as well.
Limit access to product categories and attributes
Beside sales and products data, this extension also allows admins to be limited in term of product categories and attributes.
Regarding product categories, actions restricted can be:
- Create new categories
- View categories
- Edit categories
- Delete categories
- Access scope: All categories/ Specific ones
Moreover, the plugin also enables store owners to limit permission to attributes for certain admin users such as
- Create new attributes
- View attributes
- Edit attributes
- Delete attributes
By this function, admins can have separated actions and access scope to the product attributes at the store.
Limit access to customers
It is necessary to limit access to customers’ information for specific admin users who are entitled to care about customer care. Thus, this module allows the biggest admin to assign permission to sub-admins in the following cases:
- Create new customers
- Permission scope: all customers or specific ones
- View customer information
- Edit customer information
- Delete customer information
Set user role-related actions
Similarly, each store admin can be assigned different permissions when it comes to User Role actions. In details, the extension allows configuring an admin can take one or some actions as:
- Create new user roles
- View user roles
- Edit user roles
- Delete user roles
- Action scope: for all or specific user roles
Depending on the permission settings at the backend, each admin can have different impact power over other admins.
Set valid duration for admin permission
Set time valid for a restriction configuration is necessary when online stores want to change the policy over time. By this, after allocating specific permissions for store admins, store owners can set the time to validate the permissions. There are two fields supported including Apply From Date (set the beginning day) and Apply To Date (set the ending day).
With Admin Permission, it is possible to select the days of the week and the hour time that specific permissions are authorized. After the valid time, the system will stop applying the permission settings.
Full features offered by Mageplaza’s Admin Permission extension
- Turn on/off the module
- Set sales permission
- Limit based store views
- Limit access to sales data: orders, invoices, shipments, credit memo, transaction
- Allow/ Disallow creating new categories
- Select actions: view, edit, delete
- Select access extent: all or specific categories
- Enable creating new products
- Activate actions: view, edit, delete
- Select access extent: all products, specific products, products created by this user, products created by the same-role users
- Allow creating new customers
- Choose actions related customer account: view, edit, delete
- Select access fields: all customers, specific customers
- Allow making new product attributes
- Select related actions: view, edit, delete
- Choose the access scope: all product attributes or specific product attributes
- Enable generating new user roles
- Choose action permitted: view, edit, delete
- Select access scope: all user roles, specific user roles
- Activate/Deactivate time valid setting
- Choose the date to begin applying time valid
- Choose the date to stop applying time valid
- Select days to activate the admin permission
- Select hour time activate the admin permission
All in all, Magento 2 Admin Permissions is the great tool in allocating permissions for different store admins effectively. The difference comes from the section access (sales, products, categories, product attributes, customer, user role), the action extent (view, edit, delete), the valid time for each user role. Managing your store work tasks simpler by this extension right away!
not your workload
Simple, powerful tools to grow your business. Easy to use, quick to master and all at an affordable price.Get Started